Braidwood Antiques opened its doors on 27th January 2017. We purchased 130 Wallace Street in March 2014 and Derek spent the next two and a half years restoring and renovating the building. It was a huge job! The ceiling and floor were both replaced and the walls were cleared of wooden panelling and old plaster, but it was well worth it as we now have a historic building ready for another 150 years of life and a place to display beautiful antiques and unusual pieces.
Derek received a Highly Commended award in April 2017 from the Queanbeyan Palerang Regional Council acknowledging his renovation and restoration efforts.
Derek has always had a passion for wood and this coupled with his love of all things old has combined beautifully in his ability to restore pieces accurately and authentically.
The Sydney Gazette shows that the land the building stands on was purchased by John Rickards in 1841. We believe the shop was constructed during the 1850s. The building sits quietly in Wallace street and during its life has housed an ironmongery, newsagency, outdoor supplies store, lolly shop and dress shop.
Braidwood was surveyed in 1839 and began to grow rapidly in the 1850s with the discovery of gold in the surrounding region. The entire town of Braidwood has been classified by the National Trust as an historic town and is the first complete town to be listed on the NSW State Heritage Register. Braidwood is a working town but retains most of the Georgian town plan and has many fine examples of 19th century architecture.